The product liability lawyers at SHOOP | A PROFESSIONAL LAW CORPORATION
remind the public of recent, voluntary product recalls involving high-powered
magnets and magnet sets which can be easily ingested by children, resulting
in catastrophic gastrointestinal injury.
Recently, Adobe recalled its high-powered magnets distributed with Adobe
ConnectTM "Effective Collaboration is Magnetic" Promotional
Material Package for these vary reasons. The product defect associated
with the Adobe (and various other magnet sets) involves multiple (two
or more) magnets being swallowed by children and linking together inside
a child's digestive tract and clamping onto other bodily organs and
tissues, causing catastrophic injuries including, but not limited to,
intestinal obstructions, intestinal perforations, septic shock and death.
Moreover, the Internal injuries suffered by children from these high-powered
magnet sets can pose serious complications and lifelong health deficits.
This specific recall involves high-powered magnet sets sold with the Adobe
"Effective Collaboration is Magnetic" promotional literature.
These promotional materials were included in green boxes (which also have
a black-colored lid) and include twelve such magnets which are magnetically
fixed to green cardboard sheets. The spherical silver magnets are approximately
five mm in diameter and additionally include the writing, "With Adobe
Connect it all just clicks" printed in a circular fashion about the
NUMEROUS INCIDENTS INVOLVING OTHER HIGH-POWERED MAGNET SETS
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission "CPSC" has
received eighty (80) reports of incidents involving ingestion of other
high powered magnets, resulting in a staggering seventy-nine (79) reports
from the field where surgical and/or medical intervention was required.
An increasing number of incident reports to CPSC are clearly indicative
of the fact that high-powered magnets continue to be an unacceptable safety
risk to children, who continue swallowing these magnets resulting in the
catastrophic consequences above-described.
Reports from the field of these incidents involving high-powered (ball
bearing) magnets have increased significantly since 2009, alone. Of the
reported incidents to CPSC, seventeen (17) involved magnet ingestion,
with eleven (11) requiring surgical intervention to remove the magnets
from the child's intestinal tract. When a magnet is removed surgically,
the process often requires extensive repair of the damaged stomach and
CPSC and the product defect attorneys at SHOOP | A PROFESSIONAL LAW CORPORATION
remind the public that high-powered magnets and their related components
(which are a size that can be swallowed) are prohibited in toys for children
younger than the age of fourteen (14). These reported incidents to CPSC
involve magnet sets which are marketed as desk toys and stress relievers
for adults, who use the magnets to create patterns and build shapes. Often,
they are sold in sets of hundreds (or more) magnets in gift stores and
office supply stores.
Lastly, CPSC has received reports from the field of young children and
of toddlers ingesting loose pieces of magnets or magnets left within their
reach. Caution must be exercised as it is, of course, extremely difficult
to determine if any of the magnets are missing from the original set.
David Shoop and
Don Liddy have extensive experience litigating cases involving catastrophic injuries
to children involving defective products. If your child has been injured
by a defective product, call us today for a free consultation at (866) 884-1717.
We get results. Period.
CALL US TODAY AT (866) 884-1717