What do you do when someone you love suffers fatal injuries because of someone else’s negligent actions?
It’s important for the family of the deceased to take legal action against the responsible party for a number of reasons. However, one of the most important things for the family is the potential damages they may be able to recover in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Understanding what these damages can be and the ways the compensation can help the family is very important. Here are some of the recoverable damages that you may be able to pursue when filing a wrongful death lawsuit for negligence.
- Expenses associated with the funeral and burial, including any caskets or urns, the location, and more.
- Medical expenses associated with the injury if the decedent spent time in the hospital from the date of the injury to the date of the death.
- Loss of gifts or benefits that the family may have received had the decedent continued to live the expected life.
- Potential lost income that the decedent would have earned in their life, which aids in financial support of the family.
- Reasonable value of household that the decedent would have provided for his or her family.
It’s important to note that the settlement that the family is awarded for future economic damages—income that the decedent would have earned in the future—is often reduced to relate to present value. There’s no inflation of funds considered.
One potential type of damages that is overlooked is non-economic damages. These are awarded to the family of the decedent to cover emotional damages that have been sustained. Including loss of love, companionship, affection, protection, guidance, and more.
At Shoop | A Professional Law Corporation, our Los Angeles wrongful death lawyers put our best foot forward to help you seek the most favorable outcome. You deserve someone on your side who can help hold the negligent party accountable, and protect your rights every step of the way.
Call our firm today at (866) 884-1717 to discuss your potential case.